Post new Reply

Hi all,

I know I have been away for while, I was trying to finish my last year of studies, and it got very intense, I simply had no time.

I am now a little more free, and would like to get back to this, but I also have a backlog of stuff to do, and updating a project that has missed multiple versions becomes a lot harder. I hope to get around to it though, and revive the project.

I will go back and read all the posts from the last year, but I am not going to reply to them, as that seems useless at this stage.

Have I helped you? Do you like my add-ons?
Would you consider donating to show your appreciation for my efforts?

/images/paypal.png

Edited by Michael on Aug. 14, 2017, 8:56 p.m.

ReportQuote
Ok I had some free time today to try and get up to speed on what is happening with Firefox add-ons. So I can give a better idea now of how things will proceed.

With Firefox 57, the only type of extension that will be supported is WebExtensions. So for everything going ahead this must be supported. The bad news with this is that means I can put a maximum of 1 button per extension, as that is all that is supported. That means that Toolbar Buttons as it is is dead, it is not going to be able to continue (as a Firefox extension). However there is the option of splitting it into lot of single button extensions, which is what I am going to look at. Hopefully I can modify my build tools to easily support this.

The other big downer is that the APIs with WebExtenions will be very restricted, and a lot of what I do will have to either be rewritten, or might turn out to be impossible. I am going to try and keep a record of my attempts here, and see what can or can not be ported.

about:config - not possible see bug 1371793 this will effect any button that opens about: pages.
Close All Tabs - Done and Working
Reload Skip Cache - Uploaded

EDIT: For buttons that are finished and ready for download see: https://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/webextensions/
For buttons that opened links see https://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/link-button/

Also if you look though https://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/button_list/ I have made indication of which buttons it looks like I can't update for Firefox 57+.

/images/paypal.png

Edited by Michael on Aug. 31, 2017, 8:39 a.m.

ReportQuote
Gotta love these "upgrades" that are anything but!! I see no improvement whatsoever in this new version of Firefox--only that it's broken one of my most essential add-ons. I can't tell you how often I've been frustrated or how much time I've wasted these past few days when I've gone looking for toolbar buttons that aren't there anymore. This is a deal-breaker for me. I've been getting more and more disgusted with Firefox, but this is the push I needed to find another browser. Meantime, I'm going to see if I can find a way to "downgrade" Firefox back to a version where Toolbar Buttons still runs!
ReportQuote
Are there particular buttons that are essential for you? I might be able to see if they are possible to quickly port across.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
My favorite buttons:
- Restart Application
- Reload the current page (override cache)
- Reload the last closed tab
ReportQuote
I don't think I can do a new restart application button at this point. The other two look ok, I might see if I can do something for them tonight.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Ok so the Reload Skip Cache button is done and uploaded to addons.mozilla.org, just waiting for review.

The other one I might work on tomorrow. WebExtensions forces the use of a lot more HTML, which is fine. But it lacks the features that XUL had for translations and things like the options window. It means more work I have to do myself.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Here are the buttons I use on all my Firefox instances sorted by order of importance (On top of the list, I have listed the buttons I most frequently use) :
About:config
Reload Skip Cache
Restart Tabbed
Zoom In / Zoom Out / Reset Zoom
Clear Url
Snap Back
Next Tab / Previous Tab
Top / Bottom
Change Dictionary
Page Info at the media tab
Hotmail
Google Mail
Yahoo Mail
Toggle Java
Toggle JavaScript

Edited by syldub on Aug. 15, 2017, 1:01 p.m.
Reason: text omission

ReportQuote
These are critical for me:

Toggle proxy
Toggle page colors
ReportQuote
@rdv I don't know if those ones will happen. I don't think the new extension api gives the access needed.

@syldub For the Hotmail, Google Mail and Yahoo Mail buttons you should now create them yourself using the Link Button Maker. I will keep posting here as I finish the other buttons.

/images/paypal.png

Edited by Michael on Aug. 17, 2017, 5:43 p.m.

ReportQuote
Firefox 55 broke Toolbar Buttons for me. Is there a quick fix to keep using it with this version?

I can make js and xul edits if needed, just tell me what to do. But I'm no code-savvy unfortunately.
ReportQuote
Thanks for your work! I'm guessing that since Toggle page colors can't be fixed, Toggle page fonts can't be either?
ReportQuote
@El Buga There is no quick fix. Firefox 55 requires the extension to be e10s (Multi process support). You would need to rewrite a fair bit of code for that. Firefox 57 is going to enforce WebExtensions which is what I am now focusing on.

@Ed Yes, if I can't do one, I can't do the other. I won't rule them out yet, I have not looked into them enough. I might be able to find a work around.

/images/paypal.png

Edited by Michael on Aug. 17, 2017, 5:44 p.m.

ReportQuote
QUOTE: *
Firefox 57 is going to enforce WebExtensions which is what I am not focusing on.

I think you meant to write "which is what I am now focusing on."

BTW, do you have a page that links to all of your add-ons, including all the new ones you are updating?
ReportQuote

/images/paypal.png

Edited by Michael on Aug. 16, 2017, 11:34 p.m.

ReportQuote
Thanks for your work on this. I'm trying to use the custom link button maker, but every time I try to install the created add-on, I get an error message saying it's corrupt (I've tried it with addons.mozilla.com, Gmail, and Wikipedia). Any tips?

Also, if we're requesting individual buttons to be turned into add-ons, I'd love to have "Customize Toolbar/Menu" and "Rename Tab" back :).
ReportQuote
QUOTE: *
Or maybe the button list is what you are looking for https://codefisher.org/toolbar_button/button_list/

That's an impressive list, but what I was looking for is the add-ons list you provided, as I want to know what's available as a replacement plugin that will work with Firefox 57 and beyond.

Thanks.
ReportQuote
Really hate Mozilla for nuking my toolbox buttons. I loved the email button that allowed me to pull up Thunderbird directly from Firefox.
ReportQuote
@Daniel K Sorry I should have realised that. I am keeping a listing in post #2 of this thread. Right now it is very short.

@Brent Well that one is gone, at least I can't see it as possible to recreate it with the new system.

@Mark I am having that a sometimes too. Try download the extension instead of installing, and install it locally. Sometimes I have too try twice, but it does eventually install.

/images/paypal.png

Edited by Michael on Aug. 17, 2017, 5:54 p.m.

ReportQuote
Hello, great that you give us the buttons separate in your Toolbar Button List! I wanted just install the Translate button but the download is damaged. Firefox can not install the extension. I don't know if it is same with the other buttons. Could you fix it? Thank you for your work!
ReportQuote

Post new Reply