Thread Closed

Windows xp Pro FF 4.10

The new buttons look awful. They are dreary, very fuzzy, and colorless. I also don't understand the need to change the button icon, the old ones were great. They are so hard to read I went back to version 0.6.0.8

Buttons I am using - just basic buttons used repeatedly every day -

Find
Refresh
Back / Forward
Stop Loading
Close All But Current Tab
Bookmark Without Prompt (Really, really bad)
Bookmark With Prompt (Really, really bad)

What do you guys think? Leave a post.

Thx Dave

Edited by dauge on Feb. 3, 2011, 6:14 p.m.

ReportQuote
I will admit the icons at the larger size look fuzzy. I am working on that. Not worth holding a release up over though.

But in general I love the icons, I did make them. I do however understand that any change to something like the icons will not go down well with some people. I do welcome feedback on them, but they are not fundamentally going to change. I have made the topic sticky, so all the flame can go in one place.

But if you want reasons to change them, here are a few:
1) I was using some of the icons in violation of copy right/licensing and that needed fixing.
2) Some of the icons were only tenuously connected with their associated action, I would suggest this is now better.
3) It was often very hard to source icons for new buttons, if I am making them that is easier.
4) It gives the extension's buttons a consistent look.
5) Using my icons is a great way of promoting my own set.
6) I think many of the icons look better, though some used in the previous version were better in some cases.

Anyone is welcome to repackage the extension with a different set of icons. Time permitting I would like to have releases of the extension with other sets of icons in them. I would like at least a dark (black) icon set and one that uses a color palette more like that used by the Gnome desktop.

Some useful bits of feed back to remember to act on:
QUOTE:
The icon for 'minimize' was a big fat blue arrow. Very clear. The new one is a window with a lightning flash. The iconography escapes me, I don't see the link between a lightning flash and minimizing.

The old icon for 'toggle status read/unread' was something with glasses. Now it's an generic envelope with a tiny check mark. Boring and not very clear. The one with glasses was clearer and looked nicer.

QUOTE:
I actually like the aesthetics of your designs, that said their colors are too light. My only big issue is with the "Close Tab" and "Close all Other Tabs" buttons, which I use extensively. The new versions are too small and lack "enough color", so I get visually lost trying to find them sometimes.

In the "a bit selfish department" I prefer the old icon "idea/concept" for "refresh all".

QUOTE:
the only real issue i have is when 2 icons are too similar *points at toggle gif and toggle movie*

Have I helped you? Do you like my add-ons?
Would you consider donating to show your appreciation for my efforts?

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
speaking of icons
toggle iframe/show frame/current frame
all look way to similar
the toggle css button could have css in black
embedded content could use a change
the old about:config was a nice icon for that nice and detailed
ReportQuote
show frame and current frame are the same button. I have both for historical reasons. But I was struggling with picking a good icon for the idea of iframes. I gave up in the end, and put the current one which is a little lame.

What to suggest what might be a better icon for the embedded content?

The old about:config icon was kind of nice, I guess I could have a go at creating something similar for my icon set.

If anyone wants to make a version of Toolbar Buttons using the old icons I am happy to provide guidance with doing so.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
SeaMonkey 2: I could fix the empty Options window by adding the overlay for browser-option.xul in chrome.manifest.
The translation button issue seems to be fixed with Toolbar Buttons 1.0b2 (latest version), at least in SeaMonkey 2.1b3pre.
ReportQuote
Hi Mc.

Good to see the translation issue has been fixed. Latest version is now 1.0.1b1 (on svn) if you still have the 1.0b2 maybe update to at least 1.0. The latest version on svn has initial SeaMonkey support and installs fine so you can expect that to be all working soon.

Oh and this is kind of the wrong topic.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
I have to say, I think the new icons look much worse than the original ones too; just looking at them now they look so dull and washed out compared to the other Firefox ones up there on the toolbar. In fact, I will likely go back to the previous version just to get that look back!

If you're set on using your own icons, though, please consider allowing us to easily change them to our own 'custom' icons so those of us who find the new ones ugly or out of place can use the older style.

I've been using this addon for as long as its been around, near about, and this is the first time I've thought about looking for alternatives, which is sad.
ReportQuote
If the main complaint is that the icons look washed out I can look at creating icons with more intense colours. That is in addition to sharpening up the larger icons.

Going back to the previous version will not be a good option once Firefox 4 is released.

QUOTE:
If you're set on using your own icons, though, please consider allowing us to easily change them to our own 'custom' icons so those of us who find the new ones ugly or out of place can use the older style.

In reply I repeat what I said in post #4
QUOTE:
If anyone wants to make a version of Toolbar Buttons using the old icons I am happy to provide guidance with doing so.

I have the old icons, and I can send them with instructions to anyone that wants to do it. I can use a script to do a fair bit of the work (a bit of mass file renaming) but to actually create a few new set of icons that might take 3-5hours. Mainly getting some files named right that could not be done via script, and sourcing new icons that the previous release lacked.
Would he happy to distribute or advertise the resulting extension.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
I'd also like the option to revert to the old buttons. I'm trying to think of something nice to say about the new ones... but let's just go with I'd like the old ones back.
ReportQuote
"If the main complaint is that the icons look washed out I can look at creating icons with more intense colours. That is in addition to sharpening up the larger icons."

My complaints are:
1. they are considerably smaller than the old versions, and therefore look out of place with the standard buttons;
2. they are considerably more complex, when I happen greatly to prefer a simpler look.

They also do look dull, but I view that as a minor problem compared to the other issues.

Now that I've thought about it for a couple hours I think I will probably be looking for a different extension, because the new ones are too jarring; I like the functionality but the aesthetics are just not something I can stand.

Edited by Michael on Oct. 3, 2014, 5:52 a.m.

ReportQuote
I don't know where you get the complaint about them being smaller. They are actually the same dimensions. Either 16x16 or 24x24 depending on your choice of large or small icons in the customise toolbar window. If you would simply like a version with the small icons sized at 24x24 and the larger at 32x32 and I can do that very easily.
More complex is a interesting observation. One I am willing to work through. If you think for example the page top/bottom icons should just be arrows, and not arrows on a page. I can work with that.

But again I repeat my challenge, if you do care about it enough, create two folders and fill it with the needed icons. As long as the file names are correct they can easily be packaged into the extension.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Long-time user of Toolbar Buttons here. I just love the ease and convenience of Toolbar buttons. It's a great addon and you really should be commended for producing such a great tool.

Sadly, these new buttons simply don't have the panache that the previous ones did. Some say they are washed out, I would say they are too glaring - they're so out of place compared to the other default Firefox buttons. The previous ones were a great match. Please please give an option to use the old fileset. I won't be upgrading any of my other installations if they'll be using this graphics set.
ReportQuote
Ok I give in, it seems like enough people really have a distaste for my icons. But hay if that is the only complaint about the update people can give I am doing well.

Here are all the icons used by the old extension (if you extract it you will find them in the /icons/ folder) and also the icons again renamed to what they need to be in the extension (in the /png/ folder). There are 57 icons missing if you wanted to have none of my icons (list at end of post) and some might not be assigned perfectly. I if anyone has more interest in it then me and feels like going to the effort, they can fix up the remainder. If you either post links to the updated stuff or email them to support (at) codefisher.org I will share with everyone else.

http://media.codefisher.org/files/toolbar-buttons-old-icons.zip

And here is an extension with those icons in it. If you extract it out, it might help with working out which icons to change. I am not going to make a habit of releasing like this. If someone gets together a proper set of icons I will however add them as an option to the custom toolbar button maker and you will be able to get them there.

http://media.codefisher.org/files/toolbar-buttons-old-icons.xpi

Now over to you guys if you want this to be taken further.

email-edit.png
menu-bookmark.png
page.png
textfield-bigger.png
information.png
plugin.png
layout-code.png
page-white-house.png
calendar-add.png
toolbar-bookmark-add.png
menu-edit.png
world-network-edit.png
redo.png
cookie-delete.png
toolbar-bookmark-delete.png
plugin-add.png
textfield-magnify.png
options-wrench.png
cookie-key.png
menu-magnify.png
menu-wrench.png
cookie-error.png
receipt-add.png
menu-page.png
world-connect.png
page-white-font.png
application-delete.png
layout-error.png
toolbar-menu.png
task-add.png
image-key.png
toolbar-add.png
layout-delete.png
cup-add.png
world-network-lightning.png
twitter.png
application-statusbar.png
houses.png
textfield-resize.png
application-add.png
paste-link.png
font-enlarge.png
delete.png
toolbar-delete.png
application-link.png
email-forward-attachment.png
world-network-gear.png
email-forward-inline.png
font-shrink.png
textfield-smaller.png
page-white-color.png
page-white-world.png
house-add.png
application.png
image-delete.png
script-add.png
world-network-wrench.png
page-house.png

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Dear Michael,

thank you so much for giving us back the old icons. I'm very happy.

And thank you so much for the addon alltogether! Absolutly great thing to have!

Thomas
ReportQuote
I also prefer the old ones! The old ones are more ergonomically for my eyes. Even the new ones are more beautiful, but to work with Firefox and the buttons its better and faster with the old ones. Please let the users choose which ones thay prefer. Even seperate xpi downloads or the full package with new and old ones! Make a config menu for old/new buttons! Thx. (UPDATE) OK, we had to change manually. I hope i don't change to another browser... OT: I want FF4 with old design of FF3, or a mix of Firefox/Opera/IE, why don't let software producers users design their own custome made GUI and reduce work to browser engine? Chrome's idea to ban adress bar is awful!

Edited by coriandreas on Feb. 23, 2011, 4:30 a.m.

ReportQuote
Thanks!

It's not that your new buttons were -bad-, it's just that the other ones were -really good-! If you're worried about using buttons from other sources, maybe users with exceptional graphics talent could step up to the plate and provide custom sets?

For something you're providing people for free, we should be darn grateful to get what we've gotten. I use your add-ons every day - they're great. Thank you so much! And thank you even more for listening to our feedback, even the less polite ones.
ReportQuote
I can think of a few icons that looked better in the old version.
The icon for 'minimize' was a big fat blue arrow. Very clear. The new one is a window with a lightning flash. The iconography escapes me, I don't see the link between a lightning flash and minimizing.

The old icon for 'toggle status read/unread' was something with glasses. Now it's an generic envelope with a tiny check mark. Boring and not very clear. The one with glasses was clearer and looked nicer.
ReportQuote
@coriandreas
There will be extensions/themes to fix anything you hate about Firefox 4. One of the great thinks about Firefox, if there is something that enough people care about it will be fixed.
I would like to have multiple icon sets, so maybe one of the others - if I ever get time to create it - will be more to your liking.

@Kell
QUOTE:
If you're worried about using buttons from other sources, maybe users with exceptional graphics talent could step up to the plate and provide custom sets?

I would love it if they did, I have tried to make it easy enough to do. I suspect however I will be the only one trying to do it. No one has even stepped forwards to look after the old icons that I posted before, and I don't really want to be left with looking after them.

@Frank Lekens
Thanks for the feedback, I have made a note of it and I will look at maybe updating those icons.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Especially buttons for restart are awful, thank for possibility change to old version of icons!
ReportQuote
@martinvs
Is it just that the arrows are too small to see? Or something else that makes it awful?

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote

Thread Closed