Thread Closed

A few days ago for my FF 2, I updated my Toolbar Button Extension to the latest version 0.5.0.3 and wanted to look what the Toggle Page Colors button was all about.

From now on all my pages on the web look like this. At the time I could not "toggle" back like it was b4 (the button simply did not respond) and still cannot. I disabled the extension, restarted the FF browser, the PC... nothing helps. I did not uninstall the extension yet, because I want to know first if this is the kind of thing that "Toggle Page Colors" button does ?

http://img223.imagevenue.com/loc258/th_06084_CodefisherOrg1_122_258lo.jpg

The usual Codefisher page should look like this of course

http://img152.imagevenue.com/loc789/th_06086_CodefisherOrg2_122_789lo.jpg

I think this is some serious bug. I would uninstall the extension if necessary. I thought however that disabling was enough... apparently not. Why do these and other extensions leave things. Why is a normal disable not enough ? If after an uninstall it still isn't solved I might have to delete my whole profile folder. I would hate that, c'se the last BU (with the FEBE extension), is from 2 weeks ago.

Edited by JimB on March 30, 2008, 8:08 p.m.

ReportQuote
This button certainly appears to be working for me. You do need to reload the page to see the effect take place, have you tried that?

The reason disabling the extension is no enough is because the setting is part of Firefox and can be found at Tool > Options > Content > Colors (a button) and it is the check box at the bottom of the window. The button is really just a short cut.

Have I helped you? Do you like my add-ons?
Would you consider donating to show your appreciation for my efforts?

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
"Allow pages to choose their own color" was unchecked. I suppose that's what that button does. So now it's OK again.

Still can't understand why that toolbarbutton did not revert it back. I did everything and more than just reload the page, I mentioned: restart FF, restart PC etc... I'm not gonna touch that Toggle Page Colors button again ... ever.

Thanks
ReportQuote
I can't understand why it managed to change it, but could not change it back. The code is very simple for this button, and I have been looking at it for the last few minutes, I can't see any loop hole.
If you go Tools > Error Console do you see anything that might be from my extension? (for this to work http://kb.mozillazine.org/Javascript.options.showInConsole has to be set to true)

As you now know how to easily fix this problem, can you please try this for me?

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Here are scrshots of the sections Error and Warning from my Error console. Unfortunately there are no dates available in that console.
Just tell me the lines from codefisher you're interested in and I'll hit those links in blue and copy the script that opens in a txt file and post it. I hope the console doesn't reset itself each time I restart.

Errors
http://img156.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=73587_Error_Codefisher_122_1075lo.jpg

Warnings
http://img46.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=73596_Warnings_Codefisher_122_682lo.jpg.

Edited by JimB on April 2, 2008, 12:28 a.m.

ReportQuote
Did you change the preference preference that I mentioned? Do you know how to? I ask because can't see any errors caused by any extension at all in those screen shots.
What you would need to do is type about:config in the url bar and find javascript.options.showInConsole (using the filter text box if needed). If it is found you would just right click it and press "Toggle" if not you would need to right click then press "New" then "Boolean" (means it has a value of True or False). If you followed the links of the previous one you could have found http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config which I recommend you read if you need more help with using the about:config
If this settings it not set to true errors from my extension or any other will not display and I will not be able to extract any useful info out of it.

I don't want you to click those "links in blue" what would be found in an entry for my extension would be something that I have written and of course know backwards.
For my extension all the links with start with chrome://buttons/. What I really want to get is the link number and the short description of what went wrong. It you right click an entry you can press copy to get a text version of it. An example of what you will get would be something like this (this is one from another extension I am working on for a friend )
QUOTE:
Warning: assignment to undeclared variable PageZoomExt
Source file: chrome://page-zoom/content/pageZoom.js
Line: 76

That might not mean much to you, but it would allow me to pin point the error and fix it in a few seconds.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
The setting was set to false. I now changed it to true.

However does that mean you can't retrieve anything from the toggle error that caused my start of this thread in the first place ?
ReportQuote
Well with out the setting set to true, any errors from my (or any another) extension would not be displaced in the error console :( so I can't do anything with those screens shows you posted since the info is not there.

Now it is set to true I need you to open the error console, and maybe clear everything in it, then press the toggle page colors button a few times and then post what turns up in the error console.

Oh and I missed this question
QUOTE:
I hope the console doesn't reset itself each time I restart.

It does :rolleyes:

I must thank you for actually trying to help improve Toolbar Buttons, but it is kind of a tricky process finding out what is going on in a computer on another continent :o

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
I think b4 I do that I'm gonna make a "test" profile.
ReportQuote

Thread Closed