Thread Closed

Hello:
I'm trying to install this excellent addon on sunbird and I get the message:
"MinimizeToTray Plus 1.0.8 could not be installed because it is not compatible with Sunbird 1.0b1.
A fix comming soon?
Thanks,
Albert C
ReportQuote
Yes there will be a fix soon enough. But if there are ways to force extensions to install into betas if you care to do a little searching. MTT Plus does work once installed.

Have I helped you? Do you like my add-ons?
Would you consider donating to show your appreciation for my efforts?

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Any updates on this fix?
I am also looking forward to be able to install MTT Plus for Sunbird 1.0b1.
Is the fix coming and if yes, when?
ReportQuote
Never mind, actually there is not that difficult to make it work.

I just opened the minimizetotray-plus-1.0.8.xpi i downloaded (it's an archive so just use an archivemanager like 7zip to open it) and edited the file "install.rdf".

In "install.rdf" I found a section <!--Sunbird --> with the tags <em:minVersion>1.0pre</em:minVersion> and <em:maxVersion>1.0pre</em:maxVersion>.
So this means that the addon is only going to install on a sunbird with the version string 1.0pre.

I just changed the value of the tag <em:minVersion>1.0pre</em:minVersion> for the minimum version from 1.0pre to 1.0b1, so that it looks like this:
<em:minVersion>1.0b1</em:minVersion>

I saved the "install.rdf", updated the archive and that's it.
Installation worked fine and addon seems to work fine aswell. At least I didn't see much unexpected behavior for the addon.

Hope this helps.
ReportQuote
There is no fix coming. Sunbird has been discontinued in favor of Lightening, so I am properly going to discontinue support for it.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
This is a real pity since I like your extension very much ... and also sunbird
ReportQuote
Yeah, I don't think they should have dropped Sunbird. But it is an app with out a future, so I can't see the logic in my supporting it any more. Those keen enough to still use Sunbird can work out how to force it to install if they must have it. They will be loosing most of their other extension too I guess.

I sort the version numbers out though for the next release, since their seems to be some interest in using it at least for the short term.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Just wanted to say that I love the minimize to tray feature, although the only application I use it on is Sunbird. I'm saddened that they discontinued it in favor of Lightning; I don't want Thunderbird always open so that I can view my calendar if I need to.
I messed up big time today by installing Sunbird 1.0b1 over my 0.9. Tried to roll back - no luck. That started me down the road to try Dong's suggestion to modify the install file to cover the beta. No luck what-so-ever. On the bright side, I picked up the programs Michael had told me he used wayyyy back when I first started using the minimize button and had trouble getting it to work with Sunbird (back in 2008 I think it was). A thank you again to you Michael for your patience with me and the many emails and help you provided to get me where I needed to be.
This is also a thank you for your zip and text editing program suggestions from then. I got them today, and even though I was not successful in getting the MTT to work (I checked - the program changes did go through thanks to your program suggestions), I found 2 new programs that I like better than what I was using.
It's a shame Mozilla doesn't realize that there are people in the world who actually LIKE stand-alone calendars! Thanks for all the great programs you write!
ReportQuote
You got your dates wrong, you last contacted me in October 2007.

If it easier there is a setting, though it should be used with caution, that may help http://kb.mozillazine.org/Extensions.checkCompatibility

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Thanks for the further info Michael..... you got me on the original date; I didn't go back into your emails to check the originals.
I tried your suggestion as to the extensions.checkCompatibility, but could not find it listed under the Sunbird file that opened up. It showed quite a few extension files, just not that one. I have given myself a royal headache with all the research I've been doing (love how one thing leads to the next to the next... a LOT of learning to try to cram in... lol), and have finally decided that I can pin Sunbird to the taskbar in Windows 7 and it will be available.
You have given me many avenues to explore - I'm still pretty code/programming/understanding illiterate, but I love a good challenge!
Thanks again for everything and keep those great programs coming....
ReportQuote

Thread Closed