Thread Closed

Minimize To Tray Plus 1.0.8
Firefox 3.6.3
Windows XP
This is actually a very old issue which went back to the original add-on. There is also a new issue that compounds this issue but is easily avoided by keeping "Always show tray icon" unchecked. Unless this bug is still happening causing unforeseen problems when that option is unchecked.

The first (original) issue:
When "Always minimize to the tray instead of to the taskbar" and "Minimize to the tray on close" is checked, and Firefox is then minimized and then the user logs out or restarts the system, upon re-opening Firefox -- the browser states that there was a crash. To avoid this error one must remember to click on the Firefox tray icon to restore it and then exit Firefox before restarting/logging out. I'm unsure if crashing Firefox in this manner can break the profile or not, but I don't think it's healthy for the profile to crash in any case.

Please fix by having Firefox auto-exit so it exits just like all the other programs on the computer when the computer is shutting down; you would somehow have to get around the session manager asking to save the session or not -- or the user would still have to choose before the computer could log-off or perhaps the session would just auto-save in this instance.

However; make sure that Firefox would not auto-exit when the computer is going into hibernation.

The second issue is that when "Always show tray icon" is checked and then one logs out or the system is restarted, and then when Firefox loads again -- this creates bugs:

1) Once Firefox is loaded, the minimize to tray Firefox icon shows up and the browser window then opens showing that it has crashed. Normally this tray icon only shows when the Firefox window is minimized or closed and upon reopening -- the tray icon vanishes.

2) "Restore window instead of opening new" option is temporary broken -- when one clicks on the minimized to tray icon -- it opens new Firefox windows on top of the already opened browser window.

3) Then one of two things happens next (may have to do if "Only ever show one tray icon" is selected or not:

a) by clicking on the tray icon when the browser is already opened creates an odd vs of the browser by which a new window opens on top of the browser window: it overlaps the start menu bar including the system tray and the "restore down" button -- the middle button on the top right of the browser -- shows as one faded out box that doesn't work. Then exiting (either from the tray or from the file menu) will exit all the windows but upon re-opening Firefox, both Firefox windows will be restored again and then there is no way to get rid of that second, third, fourth window unless "Minimize to tray on close" is unchecked so that the other windows can actually be closed without minimizing.

or
b) it temporarily breaks the option, "Only ever show one tray icon" creating multiple tray icons when more Firefox windows are opened and then minimized, which resolves itself once these extra tray icons are closed.

ReportQuote
I think 3) would be fixed in the next release I am working on http://codefisher.org/download/minimize/minimizetotray-plus-1.0.9.xpi

As to 2) I am working on what might be a related issue, thought I am yet to finish it. I have never seen the problems you report about crashes happening, though I do often shutdown without closing Firefox first. It always just loads again normally. When I have time I will try and reproduce the problems and resolve them, thought I get the feeling that there is not really a lot I could do.

Have I helped you? Do you like my add-ons?
Would you consider donating to show your appreciation for my efforts?

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Thanks for your quick response. :)
I decided to try to use a new profile with no add-ons except this one and what I found was these bugs were mostly unrelated to crashing Firefox when logging out without exiting it first. The only bug I couldn't replicate without crashing Firefox was 3b (and I'm unsure if that will even replicate that bug).

The "Always show tray icon" feature is just really buggy. I'm all for many options for an add-on but if that gives you too much grief with trying to fix it then I don't see a reason to keep it unless someone out there really needs the tray icon to always be there. I just put the Firefox link in the quick launch bar and that does the same thing; however, the Firefox icon stays there after Firefox exits so it's really always there.

Please keep the "Only ever show one tray icon" option for that works and that should always be separate and independent of "Always show tray icon" as it is with this update. I'm unsure why that's indented below the "Always show tray icon" option when they are and should continue to be independently separate options. When I have "Always show tray icon" unchecked and "Only ever show one tray icon" checked, your add-on works fine. I really like that new feature because it doesn't clutter up the tray with multiple Firefox icons when minimized.

On an unrelated note: I've figured out why you don't see the crash message when reloading Firefox. In order to see that you need "Tab Mix Plus" installed and this is what was alerting me to the crash. When I logged out with the new profile, the original Firefox session manager popped up asking whether to save the session or not and wouldn't let windows close down till this was answered. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to have Firefox go back to that pop-up choose window once "Tab Mix Plus" is installed. I'll try to alert tab mix plus to the crash issue now I know it's not this add-on that was doing it.

ReportQuote
The technical side of always show tray icon is fine, just how I present it is kind of messed up right now. I will sort that out in due course.

I will try and reply to more of your posts later, I am dead tired right now.

Have I helped you? Do you like my add-ons?
Would you consider donating to show your appreciation for my efforts?

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote

Thread Closed