Thread Closed

Hello all, maintainers,
I use(d) this plug in as I did the old one for FF2.x, namely with "Minimize on close" enabled. However it quickly becomes obvious with this enabled there is *no way to close a window* without having it minimize to the tray. This means if ever I should have a pop-up or open a window I need to get rid of, I need to first go into options, disable Minimize on close, close the window, then re-enable. No thanks.

What is the expected behaviour?
That closing the last tab of a window, does not perform a MinimizeToTray (MtT) close, but rather actually closes the window, same goes if selecting "Close Window" or Ctrl+Shift+W from the menu. In fact the only time the window should minimize on close is when the user clicks the "x" button. Some may argue this is contrary to what the option implies, but I've come to believe this is the behaviour most users expect when minimizing to tray.

Ta ta for now.
ReportQuote
I have come to much the same conclusions, Anthony P. and I shall fix it once UNI lightens of a bit.

Have I helped you? Do you like my add-ons?
Would you consider donating to show your appreciation for my efforts?

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Just to refresh the topic as the issue is still present and itchy:

I merge all windows into one (thanks to Tab Mix Plus), however sometimes the new window appears (e.g. by mistake I force to open new tab in new window) - and the only way to close it (without disabling the MTTP, as Anthony P. suggested) is to kill the firefox.exe process. I believe it's not the desirable solution (well, for sure not in my point of view).

Therefore I'd like to suggest there is an option in the MTTP such as 'Close window on CTRL+SHIFT+W (instead of minimizing it)' - this would easier life much.

Looking forward to hearing news in this topic.

Thanks for the great addon.

Dk.
ReportQuote
You can also kill it via the tray menu item, which is not too hard but also not desirable. This University semester wraps up in just under a months time. When It does, MinimizeToTray Plus is my number one priority, I will get it sorted.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Michael, thx, I didn't notice that... Well, it's somehow helpful, but still - CTRL+SHIFT+W would be much more desirable :) Good luck on your exams, I'm also in the preparation stage... ;)
Dk.
ReportQuote
Have the same Problem here. It is impossible to "close" a window. If by accident there opens a new window you can only get rid of it by disabling MTTP.
Closing Firefox only leads to several windows on the next start of it. "Close Window" should really close the window. Thats what the original Minimize to tray did.

BTW your MTTP is the first minimizer that doesn't interfere with Games and Screensavers on my Computer. So I'd really hope this will be improved. :)
ReportQuote
As stated before you can always use the tray menu to close the unwanted menus. I am working on fixing all this stuff now.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
I really didn't want to push here... Take your time!
ReportQuote
To add another perspective: I use this extension for Thunderbird on Windows to have it constantly running in the background (that is, minimizing instead of closing).
It works fine and triggers on ALT+F4, clicking the red X, NOT on File/Quit (which is ok), but it does not work on CTRL+W. And this is a bit annoying, since I often close my windows with that shortcut (works for almost all applications). But instead of the expected behavior of not really closing Thunderbird (just minimizing it to the tray), it completely shuts it down and as a result I sometimes wonder why I don't receive any emails anymore: Since the application is closed and not minimized, it cannot periodically check for new emails.

So the conclusion is: Please let also CTRL+W trigger the minimize to tray functionality!
ReportQuote
@JeeAge

Which is what I had screamed at me about Firefox, so I added the code that others are now complaining about. The answer is of course to add another setting, since an agreement is never going to be meet on this one.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
QUOTE:
You can also kill it via the tray menu item, which is not too hard but also not desirable. This University semester wraps up in just under a months time. When It does, MinimizeToTray Plus is my number one priority, I will get it sorted.

QUOTE:
As stated before you can always use the tray menu to close the unwanted menus. I am working on fixing all this stuff now.

Forgive me, but all I see in the menu when I click on the tray are "Restore", "New Window", "Downloads", and "Close Firefox".

I expected to see another one like "Close Window".

"Close Firefox" does exactly that -- all windows get closed and Firefox terminates.

What am I missing here, pray tell?

PS: How about a "Really close this window and not minimize it to tray" option on the Firefox "File" menu, beside the "Minimize to Tray" option you already add?

PPS: I'm using version 1.0.8

Edited by HiTechHiTouch on Oct. 4, 2010, 6:09 p.m.

ReportQuote
"Close Firefox" should be equivalent to "Close Window", which I what I think you have worked out. But your not missing a lot, the extension has usability problems.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote

Thread Closed