Thread Closed

We are considering including MinimizeToTray Plus with Spicebird. What is the license for this extension? I could not find any license headers or license files in the source code or XPI.
ReportQuote
I am very slack when it comes to putting licenses within my code. I do however have a page that servers as a general cover for all the my extensions at http://codefisher.org/licence

So GNU General Public License, version 2.

Is there anything I can do to assist with integrating it into your program?

Have I helped you? Do you like my add-ons?
Would you consider donating to show your appreciation for my efforts?

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Thanks you for the response and offer to help.

Spicebird code is tri-licensed like Mozilla code but the binaries are distributed under GPL. That would make the extension a nice fit. Am I right in assuming that the original author's code is also under GPL compatible license since you to choose to add to it and release under GPL? It would be nice if you could add a simple file the root of the code mentioning that the code is under GPL.

I am looking at the code and already made some changes for slightly better build process. In general, I would like to send you all the fixes and improvements so that the code is sync and it is easy for me to maintain. I shall post patches once I have basic thing working.
ReportQuote
I have started using a make file, it is in SVN at http://svn.codefisher.org/svn/minimizetotray/trunk/source/Makefile.in it is not quite working right though, but I am not sure of the cause of that. When I used it the binary was failing to link, I am not a great C++ developer and rarely have had to worry about build systems so it is not something I am experienced at.

I don't know what license the original extension was under, besides an off hand comment comment by the original owner on IRC some years ago that it was open source so I could do whatever I felt like with it. The other developer that used to work on the extension contacted me a month ago thanking me for giving new life to the extension.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
I am indeed using this Makefile.in as the basis for my build. I got basic things working on Linux. I shall send you the patches soon. Meanwhile, Spicebird working code is here: https://code.spicebird.org/hg/spicebird/file/f07fb146751d/collab/extensions/minimizetotray

Before the code gets merged into the main Spicebird branch we need to be clear on the license. Let us contact the original author(s) and ask them to release the addon under GPL v2 (preferably with any later GPL version). From what you mention, he would be happy to release it under GPL. It's best to get this sorted out for the future of the project and also Spicebird inclusion.
ReportQuote
You should be warned there are problems with the Linux implementation. As described by the author or MinTrayR when we where discussing this problem (we are both working towards finding solutions):
QUOTE:
* The tray icon popup menu (via showPopup/openPopupAtScreen) won't
disappear when clicking outside. (Similar to the old Windows bug)
MTP seems to suffer from this as well, at least with 1.0.8

* The windows will be reactivated if something from the tray menu is
selected. This seems to be limited to mozilla-1.9.1
Also MTP seems to suffer from this as well.

Good luck with getting in contact with the original authors. I have not often got responses from them. It may be true that one of the original developers contacted me a month ago, but I have not heard from him since despite having replied to him twice now.

But I believe you don't need to. Though there is no public statement (that I have found) as to what license it uses it will have to be compatible with the Mozilla licenses. I say this because my understanding/suspicion is some of the code was copied from the Thunderbird source code, on Windows you may have noticed there is tray icon to indicate new mail. However I have not done any serious research to support this clain. At the very least the trayToolkit.h and trayToolkit.cpp were copied (read the comments). Since they use this in their binary it would be a volition of the GPL to use some incompatible license.

So in summery, I don't fear any theoretical legal problems. If their code is not GPLed or something similar it would be quite easy to point out a few things and force them to do so. I am not a lawyer.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
I've noticed the popup problem too. Shall send a patch if I find a solution.

I've contacted Mook and Brad for the clarification on the MinimizeToTray code license. Hoping to get a reply from both of them. Should I be contacting the author of MinTrayR also? Are the Linux portions based on his code?

As for they basing their code on Thunderbird code, they could have chosen MPL out of the three available licenses which don't force releasing the rest of the code under the same license (only that file).
ReportQuote
No the developer of MinTrayR, Nils Maier, took some of my code for his Linux version. His code falls under Mozilla tri-licensed. When writing my Linux code I used http://code.google.com/p/firetray/ as a reference, though because of the hugely different approaches (he uses a native GTK menu) there is no direct coping. It helped find function names that I could then search the manuals for. Firetray is GPL 2, so no problem there anyway.

The only real gray zone is the original MinimizeToTray License. But from the limited communication I have with the original developers I have full permissions to do what I feel like with the code.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote

Thread Closed