Thread Closed

I have started working on a new version of Toolbar Button. It is not nearly complete, and lacks many of the buttons. But if anyone want to try it there is a copy available.

http://codefisher.org/download/beta/toolbar_buttons.xpi

With that aside, I also want to share what I am trying to achieve with this release.

1). I want to turn the custom toolbar button maker into a rolling release. So if a bug is reported or a button requested I can do it, and the result is available right away. Toolbar Buttons as release on the extensions home page and addons.mozilla.org will become a monthly snap shot of the most popular buttons. To do this I have created a new build system which I will use for the custom maker, and for Toolbar Buttons proper. It has a number of nice features that help me maintain/manage the extension or create custom builds.

2) I needed to update all the buttons to work in Thunderbird 3. This not only includes making the broken ones work, but also integrating with new features like the tabs. For example in the beta if you middle click the add-ons button it will open in a tab, just like in Firefox. I also wanted to drop old code, I have stuff in there for Firefox 1.5 compatibility which is just making a mess.

3) I also needed to tidy up the scripting. There has been the odd report of the extension clashing with other extension. I am making changes to fix that, though unfortunately that means I have to change a lot of code to make it all namespaced. I am also taking the chance of fixing some code that was very poorly written, I will give an example in another post of the worse example I have come across.

4) I am changing all the icons. In future they will all be from my Pastel SVG icon set. The aim here to to create a consistent look for the extension, along with improving the buttons' icons symbolicness. Before there where many button which I could not find appropriate icons for. Now I just make them if I have not already got one. And it also promotes my icon set by getting thousands of eyes to look at the icons :)
I plan to get a new version of the Custom Toolbar Buttons Maker up soon so it will be easier for people to follow development. I will post again when I have it working.

Have I helped you? Do you like my add-ons?
Would you consider donating to show your appreciation for my efforts?

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Ok I said I would post an example of a really bad code that was in the extension. It seams I wrote this in some mad fit a a couple of years ago.
function profileFolder() {
    var openProfileFolder = {
        open: function() {
            var directoryService = Components.classes['@mozilla.org/file/directory_service;1']
                                   .getService(Components.interfaces.nsIProperties);
            var profileFolder = directoryService.get('ProfD', Components.interfaces.nsIFile);
            this.runApplication(profileFolder.QueryInterface(Components.interfaces.nsILocalFile).path);
        },
        runApplication: function(aFolder) {
            var fileLocal = Components.classes["@mozilla.org/file/local;1"]
                            .getService(Components.interfaces.nsILocalFile);
            fileLocal.initWithPath(aFolder);
            fileLocal.launch();
        }
    }
    openProfileFolder.open();
}

If you can read the code you would see that I create a nsILocalFile and get the path from that, so I can pass it to another function to create a new nsILocalFile for no reason at all. I could have just written this.
function profileFolder() {
    Components.classes['@mozilla.org/file/directory_service;1']
        .getService(Components.interfaces.nsIProperties)
        .get('ProfD', Components.interfaces.nsIFile)
        .QueryInterface(Components.interfaces.nsILocalFile).launch();
}

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Where is translate_button ? :(
ReportQuote
As stated, some buttons are missing.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
ReportQuote
I will re-add all the buttons into the new version, however I may not package them all into the release I put on addons.mozilla.org and the extension's home page.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Any update on the beta version?
ReportQuote
No, unfortunately not long after staring this a few other things come up that needed attention, and now UNI has started again so it is going to be a little slow.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Well, take your time, but dont forget we are waiting for another awesome Toolbar Buttons release.
ReportQuote
>>I am changing all the icons. In future they will all be from my Pastel SVG icon set ...
May I suggest that you add a feature to use/import icon sets developed by others? People have different tastes, you know. I, personally, like the Black X icon set. Currently, I'm experimenting with your current icon set, changing it to make it blend in better with the Black X motif.
ReportQuote
No.

First because there is not going to be other icon sets out there that have all the needed buttons for my extension.
Secondly because the is no standard way of naming icons, so they would have to be manually assigned. An automated import is impossible.
And finally because for anyone keen enough to gather all the icons they need (presumably for just the buttons they use) there are already methods that are easy enough to use to apply them. Here I am talking about either editing the userChrome.css or using an extension like Stylish to edit it for you.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Hey if you ever need beta testing help for any of your extensions, I'll gladly help (of course) for Fx, Tbird, and if need be, I can install Sunbird again. If you don't have anyone, I'll install Flock also.

As for Toolbar Buttons, it would be cool if you would pre-configure several toolbars loaded with all of your Toolbar Buttons.
It would save a lot of time from having to add and test each one individually.
ReportQuote
Hi Ken,

Don't feel the need to go to great lengths over any testing. I don't really expect anyone to test the extension out systematically and report back. This thread is really more about just letting people get and use the next version if they want to; and since I have fixed a few buttons so they work right in it, there may be a few.

I guess I could do that. But I would have to categorize the buttons into groups to do that - which is a lot of work, but could be really cool. Or just put them all on in a random manner which is not really desirable. If you would like to help categorize them I can give you write access to the code and show you how to use it. I could then write something to create collections of related buttons that would be put onto their own toolbar ... actually I could add an option to the custom toolbar button to include a toolbar. I really need to experiment with a number of things like this to make the extension easier to use.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
I try the beta in SeaMonkey, but it needs some modification. Therefor I use 7zip. That works with files in the xpi, but doesn't with tbutton.jar. There I get an error on repacking. I need to unpack it first and pack it with 7zip. Seems you've packed it with a special system.
ReportQuote
I was using the zipfile module provided by the Python programming language to create it, which I would not think is that special.

What error do you get when you repackage it?

I have not got SeaMonkey support going yet, I am considering it.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
7zip error is: Unknown Error

But I must say, there appears another notification which I never read before:

Error: Duplicate filename
skin\16\plugin.png
skin\16\plugin.png

And indeed, 7zip shows two identical files plugin.png (in \16\ and in \24\!), whereas FreeCommander shows only one.
ReportQuote
Hay that is kind of cool, it has somehow let me add the same file into the zip twice. I will have to fix that an upload a new version.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Any update on the new version?
ReportQuote
Not much, though semester ends in 3 days time. Hopefully I might be able to get some work done then. Though only if I get what work I want done on MinimizeToTray Plus done first.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Great extension! I just upgraded to TB3.1, and although TB claims it doesn't work with 3.1, it does. (I'm running Nightly Tester Tools and MR Tech Toolkit.) It would be great if you could add a button "Mark All Read" to work in usenet newsgroups. There is an extension that does this all by itself, but it would be great to have in your giant collection. :-)
I make heavy use of your "All Threads," "Threads w/ Unread," "Watched Threads w/ Unread," "Ignored Threads," etc. Although my default view is collapsed, your buttons expand the threads. It's easy enough to correct using "\", but it would be especially nice on a small notebook screen to have the threads collapsed by default.

Thanks again for a great addon! :-)
ReportQuote

Thread Closed