Thread Closed

Michael, I just received your e-mail about the new version and I immediately downloaded it. So far I'm pretty impressed as you seem to have fixed all bugs I had. Many thanks for it :D!
Just one question: what effect has the entry above the "new message" entry (I don't know how it is called in the English version) in the context menu? Am I right that Thunderbird looks for new e-mails after using this entry? I'm asking because it didn't seem to have a function in former releases of the add-on (it could also be that there just weren't any new e-mails :)).
ReportQuote
Thank you for your eMail.

I can't install it for now because I'm still using Thunderbird 2.0.0.23. As soon as Thunderbird 3 final comes out I'll upgrade.
I'm going to try it out with Songbird though.

Regards,

Knight
ReportQuote
@DaKo
It says "Get Mail" same label as the button in Thunderbird's main window. It should download any new emails, if there are any. It worked when I tried it yesterday.
I am hoping there are no bugs left. But that might be too much to hope for.

@Knight
Yes, sorry about that. It is crashing anything based of Firefox 2 right now. I think I need to compile Firefox 2 and then compile the extension against that. Problem is you need Visual Studio 2003 to build it, and I have 2005, so I can only build Firefox 3. Not sure if it is worth doing though, Thunderbird 3 should be out very soon.

Songbird does not work correctly inside my windows virtual machines (I am actually using Linux) so I will be interested in any results as I could not test it well.

Have I helped you? Do you like my add-ons?
Would you consider donating to show your appreciation for my efforts?

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Michael,

That's OK, I'm happy with 1.0.4 for Thunderbird, it works great.
About Songbird, no problems so far - everything is working as it should. If I find anything I'll let you know.

Regards,

Knight
ReportQuote
@ Micheal
Thanks for the answer, I now saw that Thunderbird looks for new e-mails.

@ Knight
I use Thunderbird 3 since beta 3 and I haven't had any serious problems with it (some add-ons may not work anymore). In the next days the release candidate 1 will be released, so the final release won't be long in coming.
ReportQuote
On virtual machine with Win7 all work good and without some flicker at startup. Thank you for good job!
ReportQuote
What version of Win7 do you have, the 32 or 64 bit? Someone did imply that it was not working on the 64 bit, but I was not able to get any other information. I am yet to set up a Win7 virtual machine.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
I am trying 32bit and TB RC1

one bug: I cannot make startup with windows by mark checkbox in options/setting, I must do it manually. When I marked checkbox and clicked OK, then go to the option again immediately, is not marked yet.
ReportQuote
You must start Thunderbird as an administrator to be able to change that setting. If the extension can't write to the registry, it can't make Thunderbird load at startup. In future versions the checkbox will appear disabled, and I also have to write some documentation for the extension so things like this are explained.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
My mistake. I am used to turn off UAC, but I forgot do it also in W7! So that everything work perfectly!!!

One question. On addons.mozilla.org is still old version 0.7.5.3. When I will update e.g. 1.0.6 by "Search update" in TB or FF, will be updated or I must check codefisher.org and do it manually?
ReportQuote
Most versions I have tried to put up there of late have been rejected - for stupid reasons. I have not put 1.0.6 up yet, as I was waiting for feed back on how stable it was.

I will put 1.0.7 up in another week or so, depends when the Linux binary starts working, and hopefully that gets though.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
After some days of testing I can confirm that this version seems to work without (bigger) problems. However, the context menu doesn't show up sometimes. When this happens I have to open Thunderbird and minimize it. After that it works again like a charm. I don't know, however, if this is a common problem or just a problem on my side (I hope not :-)).

Btw: Thunderbird 3 RC 1 was released today!
ReportQuote
It sounds like it certainly would be a bug in the extension. However to fix it I am going to need to know what your settings are and exactly what you do before this happens.

Also please use 1.0.7 http://codefisher.org/minimizetotray/

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Well, the only thing I do is ... nothing :-). I think this always happens when the computer is idle for some time and the Thunderbird icon is hidden behind the info bar (it only shows again when I expand the view with the arrow in the info bar; I hope you know what I mean). Here are my settings:

http://picfront.org/d/RQemCVRm/Minimize.png

I will test the new version and report if this bug still occurs.
ReportQuote
Makes sense why I have not see it then, I always turn the hiding of icons off, as it annoys me. If that is what is going on, I doubt you will see any difference as I did not change anything that I would imagine could change that.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
It seems that my first guess (the setting of the info bar) was wrong. I have been trying it over the past days and the context menu always doesn't open when Thunderbird is minimized for the first time (of a Thunderbird session). When I open it again and minimze it, it works. I made a video and uploaded it to YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dciUoQEq9cw

I don't know if the disappearance of the language icon (don't know how it is called) has anything to do with it, but the when I right-click other programs to open the context menu, it doesn't disappear (maybe it is just your implemantation or workaround for the old problems).
ReportQuote
What button, menu item or whatever else do you click to minimize the window. I can't see from your video.

What the language toolbar is doing is bizarre, I can't explain that.

The problems stem from the fix to this bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=435848 against which I have counter filed https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=502457 if you want to go to that and complain about them breaking my extension that would be good.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Michael, I'm using the normal Windows minimize button in the upper right to send Thunderbird to the info bar. I'm not sure since when the language toolbar has this "behavior" (i.e. since the new workaround or even longer), but I will make more tests and try other versions/modifications of MinimizeToTray. I will also try your version with a portable version of Thunderbird and a new profile to see if it has to do with some settings/plugins.

I have already voted for the first bug back in July (or something like this) and I now signed your bug report, either :).
ReportQuote
OK, I have tried several things:

1. With the portable version and a new profile it seems to work like it should. However, when I use this profile in my normal Thunderbird installation it doesn't work; I have to open and minimze Thunderbird to "enable" the context menu.

2. I completely removed Thunderbird and installed it with a new profile. Unfortuanetly, this didn't help and the problem is still the same as before.

One interesting thing I noticed is that when I enable the close button for minizing in the options it works like a charm o_O. Maybe you can add the option to close Thunderbird when clicking the minimizing button :D. The only modifaction of MinimizeToTray that works without problems for me is MinimizeToTray Revived /as told in an older thread); however, it doesn't have all the options of your version.
ReportQuote
Sorry for the tripple post.

I've made another video in a better quality:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I66sdS7Ir0&fmt=22

It shows that using the close button for minimizing Thunderbird works (maybe different code?). I wish I could help you in finding a solution :-(.
ReportQuote

Thread Closed