Thread Closed

Hello everyone.

Starting Thunderbird in turbo mode at Windows startup causes TB to be restored a second or 2 after it's initiated. This doesn't happen with v1.0.2 .

Just so you guys know...

Regards,

Knight
ReportQuote
I know,

The problem is 1.0.2 will not restore the window when it should. So I am trying to work out the best way around this.

Have I helped you? Do you like my add-ons?
Would you consider donating to show your appreciation for my efforts?

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
I figured you knew - just decided to warn you because I'm using Windows 7 and I wasn't sure that had anything to do with it.

Anyway, it seems to be working again with v1.0.4 .

Regards,

Knight
ReportQuote
Over reporting bugs is better then leaving them unknown.

Do all the features, including stuff like start with windows work in Windows 7? I have not got a copy of it yet.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Everything seems to work, including starting with Windows - however you need to run Thunderbird with elevated privileges for this. I guess you were expecting that.

I don't know if there's anything on the API which allows elevation to write to the Windows Registry - if so, that would be the way to go, otherwise one has to elevate TB for this feature to work.

Another solution would be to import an automatically generated '.reg' file containing the HKCU\(...)\Run value with 'regedit.exe' - this would solve the problem as well, even if the API doesn't allow elevation I believe.

I used v1.0.5 for testing. One thing I noticed is that when I restore TB from the tray the window comes non-maximized. I think this occurs when I first send it to the tray, because the first time I restore it it's maximized. I guess clicking on the 'X' does this.

I'm reverting to v1.0.4, but if you need any particular test with 1.0.5 let me know.

Regards,

Knight
ReportQuote
So they are making it harder to right to the registry. Doing the .reg file stuff is possible, but it could get messy.

QUOTE:
I used v1.0.5 for testing. One thing I noticed is that when I restore TB from the tray the window comes non-maximized. I think this occurs when I first send it to the tray, because the first time I restore it it's maximized. I guess clicking on the 'X' does this.

I new there had to be some gotcha with the change I made in 1.0.5. I will see if I can get that fully sorted. But it will have to do for now.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
If you are planning to make this auto-start feature available on future versions of Windows, you might not have a choice than to do it with a reg file. Since Vista Microsoft implemented UAC which is arguably one of the reasons many applications fail to work under Vista and 7.

If the API doesn't overcome this limitation, I would strongly suggest the reg file workaround - regedit is available on every Windows version, and since it's "registered" to always run elevated, it should resolve the issue.

Regards,

Knight
ReportQuote
Or just remove the option and explain how users can do it manually by putting a file in the startup folder in the programs menu. Unless they removed that too...

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Yes, that works - the startup folders aren't managed by UAC I believe.
That is also a good idea.

Regards,

Knight
ReportQuote

Thread Closed