Thread Closed

I enjoy the Custom Link Toolbar Buttons maker very much, but there are a few more features I would find highly useful:

- accept local URLs ("file:///...")
- use the icons of a different specified URL
- specify "always open in new window/tab"

Keep up the good work.
ReportQuote
1) that was an accidental side effect. I was checking the url for a valid host name but really easy to fix.

2) just download the icons and put them in them in the file boxes. There are already too many icon options.

3) you can do just what you can do with Firefox's home page button. If you click it with the scroll wheel it opens in a new tab.

Have I helped you? Do you like my add-ons?
Would you consider donating to show your appreciation for my efforts?

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
1. Thanks!

2. "just download the icons" - I'm happy to, if you teach me how to find the three URLs of a website's favicons. My suggestion stands, though; the button maker could help people make a "file:///" button with another site's icons since it already possesses the capability.

3. "you can...If you click it with the scroll wheel" - MacBooks only have a one-button trackpad, so I can't. Holding down the Command key while clicking, which normally opens a link in a new tab, does not do so with the custom button. It might be a Firefox bug (or "feature"), but I think the custom button could be made to work around it, either by detecting Command-click itself or by adding the option to always open in a new tab.
ReportQuote
2. Well there is actually only one url, the http://example.com/favicon.ico file for most sites. If you then use http://codefisher.org/web_applications/icon-getter to unpack the ico you can use the icons in it (you can put multiple icons in one ico file).

3. I just changed it to try and detect the Command key. Did it work? I don't have a Mac to try it.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
2. Thanks!

3. Sadly, no.
ReportQuote
Ok I changed it again to test something else, if you get a new copy does it work?

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Sorry, still no.
ReportQuote
Well I give up then, as I can't think of anything else to change. If I can get onto a mac I might have a play with it.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
I have no idea what happened, but after uninstalling yesterday's test button, suddenly command-click is working on ALL buttons, even then the older ones. I think I won't look this gift-horse in the mouth....
ReportQuote
Ah, so it does work then. I forgot about the consequences of having multiple buttons, they would all overwrite the OpenLink() function of the other extensions till you only have one left. It appears to have settled with an updated function this time.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
LoL! That's pretty tricky. I suppose I'll have to redo my old buttons to make sure it can't get un-done.

Returning to item #2: I downloaded http://timeanddate.com/favicon.ico , unpacked it with icon-getter/Get PNG, did control-click-save-as on 3 of the 4 images, specified the files in link-button-maker/Custom Icons, and made the button. But the result has white where transparency is supposed be. I looked at the PNGs, and icon-getter preserved the transparency. I made other buttons with non-ico-file transparent images which the maker had to scale, and it preserved the transparency of those, so I'm stumped.
ReportQuote
No need to redo all your old button, I will change the version number so hopefully you get offered updates to all of them.

Yeah, not very good. I don't have time to check though it in detail but I guess it must have something to do with the image libraries PHP uses. They have iffy transparency support.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
I have another suggestion for a little function of the Custom Link Toolbar Buttons maker:

It would we great if you could add the ability to create Link Buttons that open in a sidebar.

Keep up the good work.
ReportQuote
Interesting idea. I will have a look into doing that some time.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
I hope same idea too.

I using default bookmark toolber into the toolbar, And erase a name from bookmark.
It is very difficult to use...(can not separate the button)

plz Help :)
ReportQuote
From your message I am not sure what your having difficulty doing. Can you please explain more?

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Oh,Sorry...
I'm poor at speaking English :(
To itemize
1.my hope
�-> Create Link Buttons that open in a sidebar.

2.now
�->BookmarkToolbar use like a Link Buttons.
(Remove bookmark name. So looks like a button)

Thank you.
ReportQuote
Sorry I should have understood you meant that :) yes I will do so eventually. I have a note in my book to get around to it.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote

Thread Closed