Post new Reply

QUOTE:
i meant a button that would minimize Firefox and open Thunderbird in one click and vice-versa

I know. Read the second sentence of my last post again.

Oh open that start page. That does not sound all that interesting. Don't think I will add it. Same goes for the favorite page thing. It only sounds useful if you want to actually use it like a cut down web browser, in which case your going to want Thunder browse - or what ever it is called.

Have I helped you? Do you like my add-ons?
Would you consider donating to show your appreciation for my efforts?

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
already using that addon
it lacks a button to do that :( in my case that page is link
and the lightening add-on makes Thunderbird slow as a snail on my computer, besides most of the coding is already there to make the button for Thunderbird so I figured it would be a simple task for you, lol
i repeated the 1st thing cause you said it already has that button in FF when i wanted to minimize it in addition to that in one click but as you said that button is a pain to maintain
ReportQuote
Hi Michael,
I just read a comment on a blog where the commenter was complaining that there isn't the option to add a New Tab button to the Navigation (or other) Bar in Firefox 3.1 Beta 1 because that button has been removed from the Customize Toolbar window and added to the Tab Bar.
While it's just as easy to just hit Ctrl+ T, perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to create a New Tab button?
ReportQuote
Also, I was thinking that you may want to add that button to your Custom Toolbar Buttons Maker?
ReportQuote
@az
Well it is only going to be really useful if you have that extension installed. So it should get added to that extension.

@Ken
Yes it is really annoying me right now, because every time I open 3.0 after using 3.1 the button disappears. First button I will add when exams are over, they start very soon plus I have multiple assignments due right now.
Custom Toolbar Buttons Maker and Toolbar Buttons are always kept in sync don't worry about that.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Hi!

I like toolbar buttons very much - nice work.

It would be nice if a button "synchronize" for the funambol mozilla plugin could be added.

Cheers
ReportQuote
I don't add buttons for other extensions or plugins.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
QUOTE:
Can you add a option to toggle the zoom style? Firefox 3 will zoom the page instead of the text, but they have a option under the menu to change it to do just the text like in Firefox 2 and older.

Thanks.

I just wanted to add a +1 for this.

I use this extension primarily for the zoom +, - , and reset buttons. It would be great to add the fourth "switch text zoom vs full page zoom". Can't seem to find this functionality elsewhere.

Great extension. Cheers.
ReportQuote
I will definitely be adding it as soon as I get a chance. A silly cyclone hitting my place and turning all the power of so I can't actually access any of the stuff on my computer is not helping.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
if i remember correctly you wanted a to make a toggle tab bar button
// ***** FUNCTIONS ***** //

function tbtoggle(thisBTN)
{
	thisBTN.checked = !thisBTN.checked;
	if ( thisBTN.checked )
	{
		gBrowser.setStripVisibilityTo(false);
		gBrowser.mPrefs.setBoolPref("browser.tabs.forceHide", true);
	}
	else
	{
		gBrowser.setStripVisibilityTo(true);
		gBrowser.mPrefs.setBoolPref("browser.tabs.forceHide", false);
	}
}

// ***** MOUSE HANDLING ***** //

this.leftclick = function(evt) 
{
  tbtoggle(this);
}

// ***** INITIALISATION ***** //

this.tooltipText = "Toggle tab bar";

this.setAttribute('onclick', 'gQuot(event, this)'); // Calls the Global MouseClick handler gQuot
this.setAttribute('ondblclick', 'gQuot(event, this)');

http://custombuttons2.com/forum/post618.html

BTW: this thread can be really stubborn on loading

Edited by az on Nov. 23, 2008, 2:14 a.m.

ReportQuote
There are certain things you can do can do in CB2 code that does not normally work. It is not so much coming up with any of the code that is the problem, takes a minute of two. But there is something like 7 files that need to be edited to add a button, plus two icons to find or create and it all just takes time. While at UNI that was very precious, I wanted straight 7s (kind of like an A+). Things should happen faster now.

I sometimes have problems with it too, I think the forum software I use is a little slow sometimes.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Hi Michael,

Great work.

Button Suggestion: COPY PLAIN TEXT for Firefox

There is already a FF addon for this, but the developer abandoned it several years ago. It is a very simple concept, and always in the "Must Have Firefox Extensions" lists. I have used it for more than 3 years. His code has not changed for 3 years, and only a version increment was done once more than 2 years ago to add FF2 compatibility.

If you could incorporate this simple concept, it would be most welcome by a LOT of people. It really does not need any options either -- make the default "trim extra spaces around text" and "remove extra empty lines", this is how most people use it.
ReportQuote
Hi Michael,

SUGGESTION regarding the Flash-Block button:

As you know, this button does not work under the current version. But I would suggest a different approach, and I think it would be EASIER for you and MUCH BETTER.

Under the latest Flash plugin and FF3, Firefox lists the Flash Plugin under (TOOLS - ADDONS - PLUGINS), and Firefox has an ENABLE/DISABLE button there.

Suggestion -- Why not just make your Toolbar button Toggle this FF setting that already exists? Simple and effective. (And yes, you can toggle this button without restarting FF -- at least it works fine for me, but it not convenient because it is 3 menus deep)
ReportQuote
A copy plain text would not be a bad idea. I actually wrote some code the other day that could do that with only a few changes.

I have the flash block button working now. And unlike what you suggest, you can disable flash for everything but then for example enable the one flash movie you actually want to see without turning it all back on again.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Hi Michael,

Thanks for prompt reply and consideration of my ideas. I will Paypal you a donation tomorrow.

If you can add the Copy Plain Text, you will have consolidated a bunch of Addons for me, which is awesome. I found your addon by looking for a replacement for the Quickjava extension (enable/disable Java). So I won't need quickjava anymore (appears to be abandoned, also).

The reason that I suggested the simple ON/OFF feature for Flash is that:

(1) it would work EXACTLY like your Java and Javascript Toolbar buttons,

(2) I prefer to NEVER use Flash except for 1 website that requires it,

(3) no flash `placeholders` to muck-up the appearance of the page, which is what Flashblock uses.

With Flash completely disabled, none of the movies/animations even try to download -- the webpage just assumes that you do not have flash, and defaults to nothing or a jpg/gif photo, which is ~~~fine~~~ by me. If I did not need to use this one website that requires Flash, I would never install it. I despise Flash.

So, for those 3 reasons, that is why I ~prefer~ to kill Flash totally, and just click a button to enable it when I go to that one page, then click the button to disable it when I am done with that page. I understand if you feel this is not practical, but it would work ~just-like~ the Java and Javascript Toolbar buttons!

Thanks again for your prompt and considerate reply, and quality extension(s).

Edited by rpesq on Dec. 1, 2008, 9:39 p.m.

ReportQuote
The place holders are a feature, they don't have to exist. But I wanted them to. The idea is when you click the place holder it shows the flash.

There are some problems with your idea. 1) there is not just one flash plugin for Firefox. When I installed it (on Linux) I think I had 3 to chose from. 2) it disables a few other things besides flash (the M$ silverlite). 3) this leads to the problem of needing to find a ID of each plugin to disable them; but I might miss something. 4) I think it is easier to have it always disabled with place holders and click it when I want to use them. If you don't ever want to see it get AdBlock and use *.swf as a filter.

The flash does not try and download when the button works right.

The forums email system appears to be working fine when I tried it. I set your password to the first 5 letters of your email.

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Hi Michael,

Your Flash-Blocking method must work different than Flashblock extension. With Flashblock, the Flash content ~is~ downloaded and just hidden/not-played. You can readily see that is true because the Flash content is ready-to-go when you click the placeholder. Page load times are slower also, further proving that the flash ~is~ downloaded. This web-surfing "experience" is much different (ie - slower) than surfing the same webpage with Flash extension truly uninstalled/disabled. As you describe your method, I must assume that the page would have to reload, because otherwise the Flash content ~is~ already downloaded and simply hidden, waiting for someone to press PLAY.

Adblock is not appropriate for this task, because it is like swatting a fly with a sledgehammer. I was only looking to toggle flash to disabled/enabled status, nothing else. Adblock screws with the HTML far too much to solve what can be a simple enable-disable toggle issue. With FF3, this should be easy.

I respect the fact that you disagree with my Flash Disable/Enable idea, maybe you could make a Toolbar button to quickly open the TOOLS - ADD-ONS - PLUGINS? (so that I can quickly toggle Flash to disabled/enabled manually)

Edited by rpesq on Dec. 1, 2008, 9:39 p.m.

ReportQuote
Any chance you'd consider implementing a "get file" button, where you could either paste or clipboard a link and have it automatically downloaded?
ReportQuote
@rpesq
No you don't have to reload the page to then display the flash content. It is added dynamically, that is with scripting. It allows you to add or remove stuff from the page with out reloading it if you want. The new content starts to download as soon as it is inserted. It is how the FlahsBlock extension works. I think you will find it does not download till you tell it to.
The slower page loading would be because the alternative content takes a little bit of time be add itself.

AdBlock does not touch the HTML, just prevents access to certain URLs. Also I though it would be very appropriate because you can have it disabled on the one site so you need flash on. And if you hate flash so much, I guess you hate banner ads to?

Yes I could add a button to open plug-ins. Selecting what "tab" you wanted in the add-on window became possible in Firefox 3.

@akahige
How would that be different from the "Link From Clipboard" button?

/images/paypal.png
ReportQuote
Hi Michael,

Anyway, to answer your question, I have no problem with banner ads. My issue with Flash is (1) Security risk, (2) slower page loading, (3) increased cpu usage, (4) increased memory usage. These issues really do not have much to do with advertising; they are Flash issues exclusively.

Any idea when your fixed version of your Flash Disable button will be released?

Also, could you elaborate on what "Stop embedded content" button is targeted towards? Is this primarily audio that plays with an "Embed" html tag? I would think that Flash could be defined as embedded content also.

Edited by rpesq on Dec. 1, 2008, 9:17 p.m.

ReportQuote

Post new Reply